3 While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head. 4 Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, “Why this waste of perfume? 5 It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages and the money given to the poor.” And they rebuked her harshly. 6 “Leave her alone,” said Jesus. “Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 7 The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. 8 She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. 9 Truly I tell you, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”
As I was looking over the 9 different questions to ask myself as I meditated on this scripture, I found "Is there an example to follow?" the one that popped out for me. This passage does not give the woman's name or her circumstances or even why she did what she did. And yet Jesus says that wherever the gospel is preached this story will be told! So what about this story is an example to me?
What I get so far is apparently this woman knew who Jesus was. The time is just before his death (though no one knew this but Jesus). She must have been prompted by the Holy Spirit to take this very expensive anointing oil and pour it over Jesus. Probably felt awkward and unsure about the prompting. She probably knew it might cause a big scene or commotion. She knew she had spent a lot of money to get this oil. But in spite of all her misgivings and logic, she was obedient.
The result was she is memorialized in scripture. Apparently it is a very big deal to God to find someone obedient.
So I ask myself, am I obedient when I am prompted by the Holy Spirit especially when it appears to make no sense and especially when I might be embarrassed or misunderstood?
The example is there in Mark 14:3-9. Father, may I always be obedient like the woman!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.